Coalpit Heath man jailed for violence before Bristol Rovers match

June 15 2022
Coalpit Heath man jailed for violence before Bristol Rovers match

A COALPIT Heath man has been jailed for his part in violence before a Bristol Rovers match.

William Dinham-Mead was sentenced to ten weeks' imprisonment today at Bristol Magistrates Court for his involvement in what police described as "pre-match disorder" in Gloucester Road before Rovers' home game against Swindon Town on October 2.

Dinham-Mead, aged 27, of Badminton Road, pleaded guilty to a public order charge in relation to an incident in which a Swindon fan was kicked on the ground.

He was also given a six-year football banning order.

A Kingswood teenager who admitted the same charge received a five-year football banning order and a 12-month community order, which includes him having to complete 220 hours of unpaid work.

Football banning orders prevent offenders from attending any match in the UK for the duration of the order or going to certain areas near football stadiums on match days.

They must also surrender their passports ahead of England international matches outside UK.

Police said another man was jailed last week for threatening police and invading the Memorial Stadium with another man "dressed as knights Templar" after Rovers' home game with Forest Green on April 23.

Police said James Mallett, 36, of Moravian Road in Kingswood, was jailed for 10 weeks and ordered to pay £128 in fines and costs after lunging at police during the incident.

He received a 10-year football banning order after magistrates heard he had previously been subject to a six-year ban.

Daniel Athey, 39, of Church Road in Kingswood, was given an 18-month community order, three-year football banning order, 220 hours’ community service and fines and costs of £280 for his involvement in the pitch invasion.

A man from Highbridge in Somerset and another man from Derby have been given three-year banning orders for offences at Bristol City matches – one for trying to light a smoke flare and the other for invading the pitch.

Inspector Mark Nicholson said: “Threatening behaviour and actions that could potentially endanger public safety will not be tolerated.

“Thousands of football fans enjoy games across Avon and Somerset without issue every season. I am sure they will welcome the bans handed down by the courts to these six individuals who have acted irresponsibly.

“We will continue to proactively work with football clubs so match days remain an occasion all fans can enjoy and safely attend.”