Coalpit Heath man jailed for stealing police officer's cap during Bristol riot

September 09 2021
Coalpit Heath man jailed for stealing police officer's cap during Bristol riot

A COALPIT Heath man has been jailed after stealing equipment from a police van during a riot in Bristol.

Dylan Dunne (pictured above) was captured on video entering a damaged police vehicle and stealing "various items of police equipment" from inside.

He was latter seen wearing a police cap.

The Avon and Somerset force said today that Dunne, aged 22, had been sentenced to four months in prison after admitting charges of stealing police equipment and possessing a class B drug.

He is one of seven people who have now been jailed for a combined total of 17 years and nine months for their roles in the incident outside the Bridewell Police Station on March 21, when a demonstration against the Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill turned violent.

The stolen police equipment was recovered after Dunne was arrested, as was some cannabis in his possession.

He was sentenced today at Bristol Crown Court alongside a 45-year-old Bristol man.

Shaun Davies, of Totterdown, was jailed for three years and six months, having previously admitted an offence of riot. 

Video footage showed Davies grabbing a large metal fence and inciting others to help him to throw it at police officers.

After the court hearing Detective Chief Superintendent Carolyn Belafonte said: "More than 100 people were involved in this despicable incident which brought shame on the city of Bristol.

"Shaun Davies was one of those who directly targeted police officers – threatening to cause them significant harm. 

"While Dylan Dunne’s role was less significant, it’s clear he took pleasure in being part of the crowd that gathered outside the Bridewell, brazenly parading a stolen police hat as if it were some kind of trophy.

"We continue to investigate the events of March 21 and continue to identify and arrest people on a regular basis.

"We currently have images of 37 people on our online gallery that we’re looking to speak to and my message for anyone who recognises themselves in the pictures, or who knows they were involved in the incident, is to contact us.

"We will leave no stone unturned in our efforts to hold all those who took part in the riot to account."