Firefighters called in to rescue hedgehog from drainpipe in Frampton Cotterell

August 31 2020
Firefighters called in to rescue hedgehog from drainpipe in Frampton Cotterell

FIREFIGHTERS had to be called in to a house in Frampton Cotterell to rescue a hedgehog which had become wedged down a drain pipe.

 

The crew from Kingswood Fire Station needed cutting and drilling equipment to free animal during blistering heat on August 12, in an operation which took more than two hours.

The hedgehog is one of many which has found its way to a rescue centre in Chipping Sodbury, which stayed open during lockdown has had calls from people needing help with the animals from as far away as Wales and Somerset.

The number of hedgehogs coming in has increased as some rescue centres have had to close due to the impact of the pandemic on their volunteers and their finances.

Tracey Boden, who runs the independent centre, has been a nurse for 22 years.

She is currently employed by the Gloucestershire Healthcare Trust supporting young people with young onset dementia across the county, and has worked full-time throughout lockdown as well as running the centre.

One of the hedgehogs living at Tracey's Chipping Sodbury rescue centre

Tracey said: “I was getting even more calls than normal but I did stay open despite working full time. I struggled with limited help from volunteers to start with as many of them were shielding.”

Hogs have they been coming in at a rate of knots: I normally have an average of between 40-50."

Tracey now has seven volunteer helpers, but she pays the bills from her own wages. She needs donations, either financial to help pay her vets bills for medicines, or as food items, which are brand specific and include Royal Canin baby dog milk powder and dried kitten kibble.

The hedgehog rescued from Frampton suffered severe dehydration and at one stage during the rescue attempt, Tracey administered a fluid injection.

The male hog, named Smudge, is now tucked up safely at the rescue centre, having been bathed, watered and well-fed.

Hedgehogs are also often injured by garden strimmers or poisoned by slug pellets or rat poison. A diet of slugs and snails can lead to internal parasites like lung worm which make hedgehogs unwell.

Anyone who would like to donate, especially if offering food, is asked to contact Tracey through her website at www.hedgehogrescuechippingsodbury.co.uk.

 

The hedgehog trapped in a drain pipe in Frampton Cotterell