History of the Live and Let Live
FORMER Frampton Cotterell pub the Live and Let Live is facing an uncertain future after being advertised for sale as a "residential development opportunity". As calls are made to protect the 19th century building, Frampton Cotterell & District Local History Society chairman Ian Haddrell looks back at its past.
FRAMPTON Cotterell's Live and Let Live public house, on the corner of Clyde Road and Park Lane, appears to be of early 19th century origin, built originally as one or perhaps two cottages.
The building(s) and adjacent land appear on the 1841 tithe map of Frampton Cotterell, with the house, outbuildings, yards, courts, garden and paddock described in the Tithe Apportionment as being owned by Ann Osborne, and occupied by Henry Kethro, a 25-year-old hatter, and his new bride, Esther Webb. The couple emigrated to the United States in 1848, to farm in Wisconsin.
In the mid-19th century, the area around what is now Clyde Road was known as Goose Green, but there are no references to a pub in the 1851, 1861 or 1871 census returns in that locale.
The earliest reference to the property being used as a licensed premises is an entry in the Kelly’s Directory of 1879, when George Turner is recorded as the licensee.
Turner, who was born in Coalpit Heath, was described as a beer retailer in the 1881 census, living in the property with his wife Ellen and their seven young children.
By 1891, Frank Gilbert Nichols had taken over the pub, the beer being supplied by Daniel Sykes and Co and the annual rateable value at the time being £14.10s.0d.
Nichols was employed as a stationary engine driver at one of the nearby collieries, so no doubt his wife Lilla Ann had the responsibility of running the pub for most of the time.
When Frank and Lilla Nichols moved out in around 1896 it was taken over by Joseph Wiltshire, assisted by his wife Jane, in a short tenure lasting until 1903, when George Beak became landlord.
William Thomas Page and his wife Annie, both from Frampton Cotterell, ran the pub throughout the First World War period, leaving around 1921, when Harry Eaves took over as landlord.
Eaves was by far the longest serving publican of the Live and Let Live, retiring in 1964 after over 40 years as licensee.
Born in 1886 and a baker by trade, Eaves ran the pub with his first wife, Lilian, until her death in 1943. The picture above shows her standing outside the pub in the 1920s, with a magnificent light hanging above the entrance, which sadly was removed many years ago. The sign above the door in the picture informed that Harry Eaves was licensed to sell beer, ale and cider.
The 1920s saw many community activities take place in the Live; harvest festival shows, the Homing Society (for pigeons), and a 'smoking concert' to provide a benefit for a local resident who had been ill.
Eaves remarried in 1946 and with his second wife, Olive, continued to run the Live until his retirement in 1964.
The Live & Let Live in 2000
From the 1960s until its closure, the pub had a chequered history with numerous landlords. Indeed, the current licensees of The Globe were tenants between 2007 and 2009.
When the adjacent cottage was incorporated into the pub in the 1970s, buttresses were installed to shore up the external walls of the original building.
The pub was acquired by Smiles Bristol Brewery in the late 1990’s and then sold on to Young’s Brewery of Wandsworth, London.
In November 2016 Karen Screen took over the ailing pub and brought a temporary resurgence to its fortunes, but she called last orders for the final time in November 2019.
Since then, the Live and Let Live has stood empty, the building deteriorating rapidly, as the site awaits development.
The Live & Let Live in 2021